Now is the Time for Agility, Collaboration, and Communication
Restaurants face unique challenges.
- For pickups, make arrangements for the person ordering to text a number when they arrive.
- Select a “drop-off” location outside to minimize human to human contact.
- The same goes for delivery. Leave the food outside to avoid human contact.
- Work with your supply chain to see what is available and identify any options that may be cost prohibitive. Simplicity is they key here.
- Simplify the menu to streamline ingredient procurement.
- Serve food at the appropriate temperature (HOT is ideal) to destroy any possible pathogens.
- Get back to basics. Offer 2 spreads: a meat option and a vegetarian option.
- Create a simple, family-style options, ie. Tuesday: spaghetti and meatballs, eggplant parm.
- Create a schedule for each day of the week so patrons know what is coming up and can plan around it.
- Accept only credit cards. Passing money back and forth passes more than just payment. It can contaminate hands and other currency in the till.
- Continually sanitize hands and any part that may touch a common surface, like a register or payment portal.
- Collaborate, communicate, cooperate. Work with nearby restaurants to coordinate menus. If possible, create one menu with each of the simple options from restaurants in your vicinity and share on each website.
- Remain flexible. Look into options for wine and beer services as well to be paired with meals where it is available. Establishments offering alcohol will have a leg-up on those that do not.
- Consider gift cards to attract repeat visits. Perhaps $75 for a $100 gift card. This gets the register ringing and helps both the restaurant and the patron.
- Keep a sense of humor! We are all in this together!
Bars face similar challenges.
- Beer/wine/alcohol delivery and pick-up where it is available/legal.
- Some breweries and distilleries are finding creative ways to use their resources. A distillery in Durham, NC is “distilling” hand sanitizer. Talk about flexibility to serve a need!
- Offer simple options.